I haven’t ever sat through a whole episode of The Office…. maybe that’s why I didn’t ever really like it. Perhaps I just didn’t “get” it! This is a smart and funny show. Last night, they had a large viewing audience and great forum to send a positive message to America. They delivered… in a big way! This was a planned hospital birth so I am mentioning what I thought was positive about the reality of how this was portrayed.
Here’s what I liked:
- Insurance issues … very real for some and guides some of parents decisions
- Calm approach to early labor …no need to rush to the hospital with first contraction
- Could be that she just wants another night in hospital but still comes off as a calm early labor
- Many people in the Office were crazy & nervous except the mom –Pam
- Pam feasts and enjoys the food while contracting..nobody said you better not eat!
- I don’t think ever I heard epidural or C-Section mentioned!! (YAY)
- Dwight decides he wants a baby and makes a contract including the “baby will be breastfed for the first 6 months” after-which he plans to feed some weird stuff but HEY… at least he indicated exclusive breastfeeding to start…right?
- Pam still doesn’t want to go to hospital when her water broke
- She showed a real but pretty brief fear of really “doing this” and becoming a parent
- She didn’t have her ipod w/ birth music.. but this showed she was really planning and preparing for her birth
- Pushed her baby out! YAY
- I don’t think I EVER heard epidural or C-Section mentioned!! (I know I already said that but still— 🙂 No talk of interventions!)
- Breastfeeding was the NORM in this episode! I did not SEE a bottle even though it was mentioned. The roommate was ALSO breastfeeding!
- Trouble latching in the beginning is a common situation… It didn’t stop Pam
- THE NURSE! Oh. My. God.!!! What a TRUE portrayal of the inept ignorant rude comments made by the nursing staff at many many hospitals!! (even mine.. but I’m working on that) Good for Pam to question her and stick her plan.
- A male Lactation Consultant!
- The fact that they used a Lactation Consultant…. YAY!
- Great support from new dad Jim… even though it was funny how his facial expressions were not supportive of a male lactation consultant! (did we see the birth attendant? don’t remember)
- They reach over in the middle of night and grab the wrong baby to breastfeed… I’m sorry—> that was really funny, I hope it didn’t offend any one. It’s not like a nurse gave Pam the wrong baby……
- They have common new parent issues ie diapering, car seat, not feeling ready to go home etc…
- Breastfeeding works out at the end of the show and Pam looks incredibly peaceful and happy… 🙂
The funky cover –> hey..it worked for her so really–who cares..?? I didn’t feel like that was a big part of the overall message IMHO.
My rating : Big A+
After the show– I find out via twitter that I actually know the writer and supervising producer! So cool!
(I work with his father who is an excellent Pro-Breastfeeding Pediatrician!)
😎 Psych 😎
What did you think?? The episode is called “The Delivery”. If you haven’t seen it, you can catch it online here.