August is here! World Breastfeeding Week Aug 1-7
World Breastfeeding Week
WBW Theme for 2009
Breastfeeding: A Vital Emergency Response
Are you ready?
OBJECTIVES OF WORLD BREASTFEEDING WEEK 2009
- To draw attention to the vital role that breastfeeding plays in emergencies worldwide.
- To stress the need for active protection and support of breastfeeding before and during emergencies.
- To inform mothers, breastfeeding advocates, communities, health professionals, governments, aid agencies, donors, and the media on how they can actively support breastfeeding before and during an emergency.
- To mobilie action and nurture networking and collaboration between those with breastfeeding skills and those involved in emergency response.
- Children are the most vulnerable in emergencies – child mortality can soar from 2 to 70 times higher than average due to diarrhoea, respiratory illness and malnutrition.
- Breastfeeding is a life saving intervention and protection is greatest for the youngest infants. Even in non-emergency settings, non-breastfed babies under 2 months of age are six times more likely to die.
- Emergencies can happen anywhere in the world. Emergencies destroy what is ‘normal,’ leaving caregivers struggling to cope and infants vulnerable to disease and death.
- During emergencies, mothers need active support to continue or re-establish breastfeeding.
- Emergency preparedness is vital. Supporting breastfeeding in non-emergency settings will strengthen mothers’ capacity to cope in an emergency.
What we are doing…….
At my facility we are working on action plans to include breastfeeding support in our exisiting disaster response plans. We are never immune to disaster…. we just had a tornado here on July 29th with a lot of damage, small flooding and many homes with loss of power and clean water.
We are promoting WBW with staff and physician education as well as small gifts to new moms congratulating them on their decision to breastfeed!
WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? I really would love to hear your stories and your efforts so that we can share ideas.